Saturday, February 23, 2008

Starting Point

When we were living in the Philippines I read a book about marriage and how to deal with marriages in trouble. I agreed with the premise of the book but I disagreed with the starting point. The author started from the position that marriages were in trouble and there were Christians who were divorced and remarried which is true. Then she looked at how to help these people. The Bible was not her starting point and she only used it to back up her point. The starting point should have been the Word of God. It is not that we don't accept the breakdown and the redefining of the family unit but let us make sure that we don't allow that to redefine our doctrine. The Word of God must be preeminent.

2 comments:

A.W. Hall said...

I could tell you this to your face, but so others can join in the discussion:

There are very few who will be honest enough to say, "I am doing this because I don't believe the Word of God." It is not inerrancy or infallibility that is in danger today; it is the sufficiency of Scripture. Is God's Word enough, or do we have to fill up what is lacking?

GDAC Bible Studies said...

It is just as if this author said that the Word of God was not relevant and so therefore I am going to give you "real" advice.