Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Shelter in the Time of Storm

I remember when I first started teaching a fellow Mathmatics teacher told me about one of his students who never came to school on Thursdays as that was the day his grandmother washed his only pair of jeans. He had been kicked out of his home and his grandmother gave him shelter but he had none of his belongings. Another time we had a student who was sleeping in a car because he wasn't allowed to go home.
In the last school I taught in there was one teacher in my department that was talking about a student in his class who had been kicked out of the home. He said that he couldn't do that because once they were out of his home he would no longer have any influence in their lives. Our teenagers need to know that they must abide by the rules of our homes but they should also know that our love for them is unconditional. There may be a time that they need to be away from the family but they should know that it is because we love them and we are doing what is best for them.
I am so thankful that my children always feel that they can come home. However, I hope that they can make their own lives and teach their children to love, honour and obey them.

No comments: