Friday, February 22, 2013

Problems of prosperity

So why is prosperity a problem for most Christians?  Let me list a few things that I see as problems.
First, prosperity turns our eyes away from God to focus on what we have.  We begin to trust in our abilities rather than in God's gifts.  We don't need to trust God for our daily bread so we can live as practical atheists.
Second, we look for ways to protect our assets rather than ways to trust in God.  It seems I am saying the same thing over again and maybe I am but prosperity undermines our trust in God.  Our prosperity should give us peace of mind rather than anxiety but I see people who have so little trusting God while people who have so much worrying about their investments.
Finally, prosperity makes us feel that we are eentitled to these blessings and that other people should respect that.  So many people who have money, not all but so many, feel that they deserve what they have and therefore they are entitled to things that go along with it.
I am not talking about prosperity gospel which is no gospel at all.  It has its own problems and it idolatry.  I am talking just about being successful and the traps and pitfalls that come with having money.  Having money should make us more generous, more content, more willing to serve but it very seldom, not always, does.  I am so thankful for what I have and what I can give.

No comments: