Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Heritage

One thing that can help your children grow in their knowledge of God is to root them in their heritage.  Who in your family was instrumental in what you believe, where you live, where you go to church, etc.  For that reason I put together two little booklets.  The one is about growing up on a farm in Saskatchewan and how that shaped my life.  The other I organized with my siblings as we recalled the influence of our parents upon our lives.  I also have stories by my aunt and my maternal grandfather.  All of these remind us of our heritage.  Though we are never saved by our parents' faith or our grandparents' faith it can help build our faith in the God of our parents. 
The Israelites were reminded often of where they had come from and what God had done for them.  When our children ask us why we do things a certain way we can show them from our heritage.  That was Moses' instruction to the leaders in his day.

No comments: