Sunday, August 1, 2010

Theme of my song

“Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.” (Psalm 119:54)
Christianity is a singing religion. Everywhere you go you can join in the songs of the faith. I have sung the great hymns of faith with the Chinese, the Filipinos, the Cree as well as many others. Though I didn’t know the words in their language I knew the words in English.
Much of our singing is from Scripture. Many of the themes of these songs come from the great themes of Scripture. We sing salvation songs, praise songs to God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. We sing songs of thankfulness, prayers for mercy and even songs of lament.
Last Sunday I heard a preacher ask the question, “So what can miserable Christians pray (sing)? The Psalms are full of laments that were sung my miserable Christians such as Psalm 88. I want to comment on this further in a later post.
Just as we pray God’s words back to Him we should sing His songs back to Him. It is interesting that Zephaniah tells us that God sings (c.f. Zephaniah 3:17). Have you ever wondered what His voice would be like, what words He would sing to us? I am sure He would sing salvation songs about the work done by His Son Jesus on the cross.

No comments: