Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Afflicted

“Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.” (Psalm 119:67)

I have a friend who I asked to write a prayer for a study booklet I was making. Her prayer was about faith. Since that time she has discovered that she had breast cancer. When she first learned that she had cancer she turned to her prayer and prayed it again and again. Her cancer has not left her but her faith has grown. Has her affliction helped her faith to grow? Yes! Could faith grow without affliction? Yes! However, we are too often comfortable and we not only take our health for granted but we do the same with our faith in God.

We need to remind ourselves that it is not affliction that makes our faith grow but the Lord Jesus Christ. He is much more than an example; He is our Saviour. He suffered affliction for us so that we could be saved. Does He care about our afflictions? Yes! However, He cares more about our salvation. Our affliction should lead us to the Word of God and the Word should lead us to Christ.

No comments: