Saturday, September 17, 2011

Prayer Phone App


I was listening to the Christian radio station the other day and I heard a comment about a prayer app for the iPhone. The person said that their son became ill or injured, I cannot remember which, and they immediately used the phone app to contact everyone to pray for him. He got better so they were praising the phone app.
Now that got me thinking. First of all why praise the phone app and not the God who heals? Now that may be incidental to what I think is the real issue. We have emails and prayer lines and print prayer requests in churches newsletters but why do we do it? I know we want to have as many people as possible pray for that request but is our prayer more likely to be answered by the number of people who are praying? The simple answer is no but is that true? We need to remember first of all that the basis of answered prayer is not on numbers or length of prayers but on the redemptive work of Christ. However, it is important that we involve as many as possible in praying together. We are commanded to bear one another's burdens. I do want others to join me in praying for requests because many times I feel inadequate. There are those who really can intercede before the Father on behalf of my request. But again I need to remember that it is not the number but the Saviour Who answers the prayer.

No comments: