Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Education

When I was graduating from high school, back in the dark ages, I knew I should get post secondary education. I was the fourth child in a family of eight and we were a poor family and there was no money for education. After being rejected by the ROTC program I didn't have many options. I planned to go to Bible College but then I received an unexpected scholarship to go to the University of Waterloo to study mathematics. Four years later I graduated with a degree in mathematics and took a job teaching high school mathematics.
Fast forward thirty three years and now our oldest son his graduating from high school. His plan was to take a scholarship to university to study business, as his name was called at the graduation exercise he realized that God was calling him to go to Bible College.
Education is important and some would say that Christian education is more important than a secular education. After all if you go to a secular school you will get educated in areas that may be contrary to ones Christian beliefs. However we do need Christians in all areas of our world.
Daniel and his friends received a secular education that was totally contrary to all that they believed. Some would say that they should have rejected the Babylonian education after all education is a primary way the world has of squeezing us into it's mold. I was so grateful that my parents and my church had prepared me for the world so that it couldn't squeeze me into its mold.
Home schooling, Christian school or public education is the choices we have today but without the home and the church the world can still squeeze us into it's mold.

No comments: