Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dare to be a Daniel

I have mixed feeling about the following hymn. Do you know why?


Standing by a purpose true,
Heeding God's command,
Honor them, the faithful few!
All hail to Daniel's band!

Refrain

Dare to be a Daniel,
Dare to stand alone!
Dare to have a purpose firm!
Dare to make it known.

Many mighty men are lost
Daring not to stand,
Who for God had been a host
By joining Daniel's band.

Refrain

Many giants, great and tall,
Stalking through the land,
Headlong to the earth would fall,
If met by Daniel's band.

Refrain

Hold the Gospel banner high!
On to vict'ry grand!
Satan and his hosts defy,
And shout for Daniel's band.

Refrain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can see why. For one, it seems to be a hymn about praise to Daniel (not to God)

And I don't necessarily like the line "dare to stand alone" either.

-k

GDAC Bible Studies said...

We sang a song in Church this morning that I didn't like, it was all about me. There was no praise to God for who He is or what He has done but plenty about my saying "yes" and what I have done. I did not sing the song. We then sang Brian Doerksen's hymn about God's faithfulness. Go figure.