Thursday, October 16, 2008

Locks

I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan. I don't think any of our buildings had locks on them. If we went away for a few days we didn't have to lock anything up. After we moved to the city my father went to England for six weeks. He didn't bother locking his door. Maybe he thought that there was nothing worth stealing or more likely he thought that if anyone did go in and take anything they probably needed it more than he did.
Now we lock everything. I parked my car in a church parking lot in the daytime in full view of the office and the room where we were meeting and someone broke my window and stole a camera. When we lived in the Philippines we came home one day to find the door knob missing from the front door. We were sure that someone had broken in so we were very carefully when we opened the door. We found that our house helper had to break in because the lock wouldn't work.
Unlike our house on the farm where we had very few valuables the Tabernacle contained seven pieces of furniture that were worth millions of dollars in today's currency and yet there were no locks, in fact there was no real doors.

No comments: