Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Gospel According to Starbucks


I picked up a copy of this book at our thrift store and I decided to read it to see if I could understand the Emergent church. The book did not deserve the time but I read it any way. In reading the book I got the feeling that Leonard Sweet thinks that Coffee is god and that Starbucks is the temple to worship this new god. He even refers to Jehovah Java as the title for the epilogue.
Interestingly when Sweet wrote the book Starbucks was opening new stores daily but less than one year later they were in decline. What does this say about the marketing approach that some people want to use in the church.
When we are told to preach the Gospel it is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, not Starbucks. The Emergent church authors do not want to go to the Bible to find answers for the church but will go anywhere else including Starbucks.
To quote one person "Not sure how to fix Starbucks, but Scripture gives us clear understanding of how a church will prosper."
My recommendation: Don't waste your time. This book deserves to go the way of those Starbucks coffee houses that are closing.

No comments: