Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Call

One of my favourite books is Os Guinness' book, The Call.  In it he talks about our primary call which is a call to a person, that is Jesus Christ, and our secondary call which is a call to service.  He reminds us that very few will ever have a call like Moses' or Paul's and therefore we should not sit around waiting for a burning bush or a light from heaven.  Kevin De Young says that we should just do something.  Moses' call was unique.  God really got his attention but instead of responding positively he quickly came up with excuses:
1. Not me, I am a nobody.
2. I don't know the One who is sending me.
3. Nobody will believe me.
4. I don't speak well.
God answered each of these excuses in a gracious and loving way.  Moses may have been a nobody but today he is known all over the world.  Today we know God's name because of Moses; "I am".  His books, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are known and accepted by three major religions.  And finally when you read the book of Deuteronomy this is not the work of a man who did not speak well.  Who God calls He equips.  It is about Him and not about the one who is called.

No comments: