Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cling to God

Over and over again in the book of Deuteronomy Moses tells the Israelites that they must cling to their God.   He reminded the people that were alive and ready to go into the land that they were there because they clung to their God and obeyed.  Another way of saying it would be that they had to hold fast.
When I was younger I used to spend a lot of time in the summer at my friend's cottage at the lake.  He was a good swimmer and I was not.  I had grown up on a farm in Saskatchewan and had never learned to swim.  In his attempt to teach me to swim he told me to let go of the back of the boat and then I would have to swim.  I believed him so I let go and down I went.  When I came up I hollered at him to throw me a life jacket.  He threw me one and it landed right around my neck.  I understood what it meant to cling to something.  I held tight to that life jacket until I was safe in the boat.
That is how we are to cling to our God.  We are to hold on to Him, His Word and not let go until we are safely home.  All too often we are too casual about our relationship with God.  If we held unto Him as I held unto that life jacket we would not find ourselves needing His discipline.  Learn to cling to God.

1 comment:

MandieCurtis said...

this helps explains where I get my swimming skills from