Monday, July 26, 2010

Remember

“Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.” (Psalm 119:49)

Sometimes I think that it is a strange request to ask God to remember His word to us, after all, God is all knowing and the only thing that He has said that He will not remember is our sins which He has forgiven. It is not for God’s benefit that the Palmist asks Him to remember but for his own benefit. We are the ones that forget. We are the ones that think that God has forgotten His promises to us.

What gives me hope? I have hope because I remember what God has done for me in the past and I know that He will do the same in the future. I remember His promises and I rely on His faithfulness to us. That gives me hope.

Does God need to remember? Yes, but not because He forgets but because we forget and as we remind God of what He has promised we renew our hope.

No comments: