Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Always

“I will always obey your law, for ever and ever.” (Psalm 119:44)

I was trying to help this couple who were always fighting. One thing I noticed was that they used the words “always” and “never” a lot. I pointed out that they really didn’t mean “always” but maybe they meant “most of the time.” I think they saw my point. We often say, “You never do …” or “You always do…”

However, when David said that he would always obey God’s law he meant that he would always obey the law. Does that mean that he never broke the Law of God? No that is not what he meant. What he was saying that it was his heart’s desire to always be in obedience to the Law of God. It would have been wrong for him to say that he obeyed the Law most of the time because if he said that he was saying that there would be times that he would not feel like obeying the law so he would not do it.

No comments: