Friday, May 1, 2009

Witness


There are two basic ways that people try to find happiness and fulfillment: the way of moral conformity and the way of self discovery. The first is the elder brother and the second is the younger.
This illustrated in the movie Witness. In the movie, the young Amish widow Rachel falls in love with a non-Amish policeman, John Book. Her father-in-law, Eli, warns her that it is forbidden to do so and that the elders could have her punished. He adds that she is acting like a child. "I will be the judge of that," she says. "No, they will be the judge of that. and so will I if you shame me," he answers in a fierce way. "You shame yourself," Rachel replies, shaken but proud and turns away from him.
The moral conformist says that I'm not going to do what I want, but what tradition and the community wants me to do. The person choosing the wayof self-discovery says: "I'm the only one who can decide what is right or wrong for me. I'm going to live as I want to live and find my true self and happiness in that way."
According to the Parable of Jesus both ways are wrong. So what is the alternative? Both approaches put self above the Father just as both sons used the father to get what they wanted.

No comments: