Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Elder Brother

What is the mark of an elder brother? First, let me say that we are not to judge another whether or not they are the elder brother. We each need to examine ourselves.
I see three marks.
1. An undercurrent of anger. Do I feel a sense of satisfaction when those who I do not like suffer misfortune.
2. Duty without beauty. Do I love the Lord for who He is or for what He may owe me for what I have done for Him?
3. Religious superiority. Are there those who I feel are lesser than I am? Maybe I judge them because they are poor or of a different background.
One way to lose the joy of the Lord is to be an elder brother. Nothing takes away the joy like legalism.
What can we do? Remember that we are all outsiders and the only reason why we are allowed in is because Jesus was put out.

No comments: