Sunday, May 3, 2009

Repentance

Tonight our discussion led us to repentance and how the younger son repented. The way Jesus said it was that he came to his senses. But what drew him back? Was it sorrow for his sin? yes but... Was it that he wanted to fulfill his needs? yes but... Was it a remembrance of his father? Yes it was.
If he had only remembered his older brother he would have not returned home. Even if he had heard that his older brother had changed he probably would not have returned home. What drew him back was his remembrance of his father's love.
There are those today that tell us that the reason the prodigals do not return to the church is that they remember the older brother. Or maybe they don't come at all because all they can see is older brothers. Now I know that older brothers can be a problem but that is not the real reason. The reason is that they are not drawn to the Father's love. They want what they can get from the church to make their life more comfortable but when they want that they see the judgmental older brothers. But when they want the Father's love then they forget about the older brother and come to meet with God.

2 comments:

Mary said...

When I listened to Joe on Sunday evening, I went home wondering just what he was getting at. I was on the idea of forgivness but I don't think that was quite what he was saying.
The next morning while I was walking, I thought about his question--Why do youreally love God? I remenbered all the things he brought me through, how I learned what kind of a God and Father he really is. I thought of all the love letters he left us in his word. His promises he would never leave us nor forsake us.My love for God grew over the years as I learned to trust him.
Then I got it. This lesson is all about the Father's love for us. I know you said that Joe on Sun. evening, but it never clicked in till I went for a walk with him. He reminded me of his word--Where can I go from his love? How high, how wide and how deep etc.
Thank-you Joe, I'm getting what you are trying to teach. Mary Donais

GDAC Bible Studies said...

Thanks Mary. I want you to share these thoughts on Sunday evening.