Saturday, May 2, 2009

Salieri an elder brother.


In the movie, Amadeus, a young Salieri makes a bargain with God.

I would offer up secretly the proudest prayer a boy could think of. "Lord, make me a great composer! Let me celebrate your glory through music - and be celebrated myself! Make me famous through the world, dear God! Make me immortal! After I die let people speak my name forever with love for what I wrote! In return I vow I will give you my Chasity, my industry, my deepest humility, every hour of my life. And I will help my fellow man all I can. Amen and amen.

What happens? Mozart comes along who has musical gifts far above Salieri. Then you hear Salieri who sounds a lot like the elder brother.

It was incomprehensible... Here I was denying all my natural lust in order to deserve God's gift and there was Mozart indulging his in all directions - even though engaged to be married - with no rebuke at all!

Salieri finally says to God, "From now on we are enemies, You and I." Unlike the father in the parable of Jesus God remains silent.

No comments: