Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Rope

I one time heard a preacher talking about the High Priest entering into the Holy of Holies. He talked about the preparation and then he said that he had a rope tied around his ankle so that if he died while in the Holy of Holies they could drag him out. I had heard that story so many times I believed it was part of Scripture but it is never mentioned in the Word of God.
Now it may be true that in years after Moses that they adopted the custom but it was not part of the original direction given by Moses to Aaron. It seems to me that it grew out of a spirit of fear rather than a spirit of trust. God desired that people would come to Him in the proper manner but not because of fear but because of grace.

1 comment:

GDAC Bible Studies said...

A friend sent me this comment:

Oh! I just saw your blog about the rope. I see how that really relates to the former topic of God's wrath: do we see His wrath as a cause for being afraid of Him or a cause for understanding the depth of His love for us and the grace He offers to free us from the tyranny of sin and self?!
neat!