Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Will Seek You

“I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.” (Psalm 119:10)

The Psalmist knew that even though he desired with all his innermost being to know God and to obey His commands, there would be those temptations to stray away from the commands of the Lord. Therefore he uttered the prayer that we have written here.

We can be sure that if we seek the Lord with all our heart, He will be found by us. “Come near to God and he will come near to you.” James 4:8. “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.” John 6:37. The Word of God is full of promises that God desires to be close to us but He will wait for an invitation. He will wait until we desire Him with all our heart.

But there is another side to David’s prayer. Even though he desired to know the Lord he knew that the temptation to stray would come and in himself he could not keep from straying from the commands of the Lord. He knew that he needed the Spirit of God to keep him from straying. The same power that saved us can keep us.

Do we desire to know the Lord intimately? Are we willing to obey His commands? If we are, then we must know that only God can keep us from sin.

No comments: