Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Delight

"I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."
(Psalm 119:16)

Today many people own Bibles. I would guess that most Christians have at least two or three in their homes. They probably have a number of modern translations and they have purchased these to help them in their personal Bible study. However, I would also guess that most Christians do not read the Word of God daily, much less, study it.

A lot of Christians would say, "Amen" to the Psalmist's words but for many these are not the feelings of the heart. If I delight in the Lord's decrees then I will not neglect the Word. I will want to read it daily. I will want to study it for myself. I will desire to read every part of the Word.

It is sad that today the most popular book is the Bible but it is also the most neglected book. We should purpose in our heart not to neglect the Word. We should plan to read it from cover to cover. We should pray about it; we should memorize it; we should meditate upon it. We must not neglect the Word.

Do we delight in the Word? If the answer is "yes" then we should be found in the Word. If the answer is "no" then we should pray that God will reveal Himself through His Word to us. When we see God in the Word, then we will have trouble delighting ourselves in His Word and it will not be a neglected book.

Josiah was only a young man but he purposed in his heart to follow the Lord. As they were repairing the Temple some of the workers found a copy of the Scriptures. The Book had been ignored for so many years but as Josiah heard the Scriptures read his conscience was pricked and he desired to obey the Word. He purposed then not to neglect the Word of God. Josiah delighted in the Word because he obeyed it and did not neglect it. Can we do less?

No comments: