Monday, January 4, 2010

Were they Christians?

I know this isn't the right question but it is an important question. Now it is important that we let the Bible answer that question and not our pet doctrines. If they were not Christians then we may be inclined to ignore the warnings. If they were Christians but only in danger of losing their reward then we may not take the warnings as seriously as we should. If they are Christians then how do we explain the teaching of Hebrews 6:9 "Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case—things that accompany salvation." The previous verses seem to refer back to the parable of the soils. I will have to return to this later.
It is enough to know that these warnings are to be taken seriously. If they are given to Christians then we must remember that our faith is is something that we need to guard against apostasy. That is only by the power of God that we can live the life of faith but we must always be on guard.

2 comments:

MandieCurtis said...

What about the possibility that some think they are believers when they are not. I can think of nothing worse than having assurance of a salvation that isn't there. Questioning true salvation will only cause one to have even more assurance in the reality of God's salvation in their life. But questioning false salvation can bring about the possibility that the individual may recognize their false hope and truly find mercy.

GDAC Bible Studies said...

I believe you are right when you say some thought they were believers but were not. I prayed with each of you as children but I never claimed that made you Christians. It was only as I saw the evidence in your lives that I knew that you were true disciples and that has thrilled my heart.