Monday, January 11, 2010

From a serious student

I received the following email re the book of Hebrews. I think it is well worth reading.

I have a lot of trouble with this book. I was originally inclined to believe that the book is written to Christians, and I still do, however the idea popped in my head that the 'we' that is spoken of could also be Paul identifying himself with the Jews as a Jew. But this just generates a long list of more questions. Whoever the author of this book is has a good knowledge of Jewish scripture and law, and I believe that the author is a Jew, whether it is Paul or not.

The word in 2:3 is 'ignore' in my NIV bible, but the word comes up in Strong's dictionary as 'neglect' or 'make light of'. As I read Ch1 and into Ch2 to try and get context, it appears that the author is writing to people who do not need to be convinced that Jesus is the Son of God. But the argument that the book jumps into is more like that the Son is greater than the angels. It seems to me that they need to be convinced that Jesus was in fact not just the Son, who was another angel. The author argues that exclusively before moving into chapter 2. There he says that since Angels were messengers of God, they must be true. Therefore, since they were correct in what they said (from his arguments in Ch1) 'how shall we escape if we neglect (ignore) such a great salvation?'

Who is this book written to? Christians or Jews? Where we find things like 'we' and 'holy brothers who share in the heavenly calling' (Ch3:1) it may be that these can be interpreted as a Jew speaking to his Jewish brothers. Can it not?? Don't forget 1 Cor 9:20 where Paul says 'To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews.'

I think the answer is better found in Ch 5:11 - 6:3. It seems that the author is writing to Jews who were struggling with the message of Grace. Ch6:2 says it great, for even though they should be teachers, they still don't understand the basics. The gospel seems like a tough message for these recipients .. but they seem inclined to accept it. Where are they in their walk of salvation? At the beginning, it seems.

I found a comparison to Romans 9:30 - 10:4. Paul talks about the Jews and his love for his Jewish 'brothers'. They were zealous for God, but their zeal was not based in knowledge. They tried to establish their own righteousness, and in doing so did not submit to God's. For righteousness was never meant to be of works, but of faith. 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness', not 'Abraham did good things that he decided were good enough, and God was pleased.' The author of Hebrews wants these people to get it already, and understand and move on!!

The Hebrews 6:4 warning is of course very concerning, and very confusing. Even in its context I have trouble understanding what it means. I read one commentary that said that the Greek word "parapipto" for 'fall away' was the same used in Ezekiel 20:27 and 18:24. A very similar warning in those verses is it not? And very serious.

But I need to remember what that warning cannot mean. It cannot mean that if we become Christian, and sin, that it is impossible for us to repent. If that was the case, what came of David when he sinned and repented. Or moses when he struck the rock? Or Peter when he caused others to stumble in Galatians 2:11. Or Jonah who disobeyed God to his face. And so many more. Were not these men considered to have received God's blessing? And what about 'forsaking Jesus', something that we would take very seriously. What about Peter who called curses upon himself and even swore "I DON'T KNOW THE MAN". Do we not revere him as one of the holy apostles?? So what is this "parapipto" forsaking or falling away that is spoken of? I don't know, but you're a mathematical person. The theory must align to the practical examples, and vice versa.

What I also need to remember is that as a Christian I will sin, and it does have its consequences. Just reading 2 Chronicles 6:36-39, Hosea 5:13 - 6:2, Hosea 14, 2Chronicles 7:14, shows me that it is the Character of God to forgive when we repent. And not just once, but repeatedly. How great is God!

And the question as to can we lose our salvation? I don't know, but I do have an inclination. But like you said, if we cannot, they why the warnings? Warnings have to be meant for something. When I am driving my car in the winter and I see the sign that is on a bridge that says "bridge deck may be icy" I heed the warning and slow down, because it may be true. But we both know that the Ministry of Highways leaves those signs up all year, so when I drive over the same bridge in the summer, and read the same sign, I disregard the warning, because I know it is meaningless. The warning must warn of something real, or it is meaningless.

2 comments:

MandieCurtis said...

This is a great letter with fantastic insight. Thanks for posting it.

GDAC Bible Studies said...

You would be glad to know that the letter was written by your younger brother, not the Ottawa one. It is a great letter with great insight. It touched my heart to read it and I wanted to post it so others could read it as well.