Friday, January 8, 2010

Marathon

I have never run a marathon but my son has and I have included a picture of him in one of the marathons. As I said, I have never run a marathon but I would imagine that there are signs along the course of the race. Some of these signs are warnings, some give directions, others ... So what is the purpose of the signs? It isn't to discourage the runners so that they will quit but rather to encourage them to keep on running and not quit. They may tell of possible dangers but that too is to encourage them to keep running and finish the course.
It is the same with the warnings in Scripture. They are not there to make us quit or to discourage us but rather to encourage us so that we can finish the course. The author of Hebrews as well as Paul uses the image of running as a picture of the Christian life. The writer of Hebrews says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

1 comment:

MandieCurtis said...

Not the greatest picture, but I look better at the start than I did at the finish. And yes, there are a lot of signs... and a lot of witnesses