Monday, January 27, 2014

Jars of Clay

This coming Sunday we will be studying 2 Corinthians 4.  That chapter contains the famous jars of clay illustration.  A few years ago I got a clay vase and I put it on my dresser to remind me of the truth of this passage.  In the jar I have a number of items that you can see in the picture.  Let me explain some of the items.
You will see 2 nickels and 5 pennies.  If you could read the dates on these coins you would know that the nickels represent myself and my wife while the five pennies represent my five children.
You will also see a fish symbol that represents my commitment to Jesus Christ and you will also see six pins that are from my many days of attending Sunday School.  My home and the Sunday School were very important parts of my life growing up and it was there I learned much of God's Word and developed a love for His Word.
The watch is the one my wife gave me when we got married.  The larger metal is from Mathematics contests which also represent my career as a mathematics instructor.  The two swimming badges I earned as a 40 year old who had never learned to swim.  They remind me that we are never too old to learn.
Those are treasures but the greatest treasure we have in our jars of clay is the presence of the living God who came to live in us when we accepted Him as our Saviour and Lord.
Yes, we have treasures in these jars of clay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering... your description of the items in the jar is great, but you referred to 'in the picture' ... but there is no picture!

GDAC Bible Studies said...

Sorry, I forgot to upload the picture. I have corrected my oversight.