Friday, January 3, 2014

Comfort

Paul begins the second letter to Corinth by talking about comfort.  He is not talking about being comfortable but knowing the comfort of God because we know that He is in control of all things.   Many of us are not comforters because we have become to comfortable with out "stuff".  Paul tells us that our comfort does not come from our "stuff" but from the God that comforts us in all our troubles.
About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.  Following my operation and recovery I was amazed at the number of men who needed to be comforted.  They were frightened when they heard that they had cancer but I was able to come along side and say that I had been there and this is what God did for me.  Could I have been a comforter if I never had the cancer?  I am sure that I could have but there was something about the fact that I had cancer that made it easier for people to accept my comfort.

No comments: