Sunday, June 9, 2013

Security

When we lived in the Philippines we saw security guards everywhere.  They were at the school we taught in, they were at the church we attended, they were at every store we visited. 
Psalm 16 begins with this prayer, "Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge."  David prays that the Lord will be his refuge, he is being hunted by Saul and his life is in danger.  Then a few lines later he makes this statement, "Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure."  David's prayer for security is answered in the Lord.  Too often we pray for things when the answer is not in the things we pray for but in the Lord himself.  We pray for patience but He is our patience.  We pray for love and He is our love.  We pray for these things as if the Lord will wrap them up and send them down to us but that is not what happens.  We need to know that our security is in the Lord himself. 
David goes on to say, "I keep my eyes always on the Lord.  With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."


No comments: