Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Dumb Question

I find dumb questions amusing. Some one once asked if you could buy a complete chess set in a pawn shop. Before the days of cell phones and answering machines my dad would phone and ask me if I was home. Things have changed. I was recently at a large conference and I overheard a man on his cell phone saying, “Are you here?”
One day Jesus asked a blind man what seemed to be a dumb question. Blind Bartimaeus had called out to Jesus to have mercy on him and Jesus asked him what he wanted Jesus to do for him. Now this may seem like a dumb question but Jesus never asked meaningless questions. Jesus knew what the man really wanted but He wanted the man to truly understand what he really needed. The man needed to know that though he needed mercy he needed healing for his eyes.

We often come to God with requests and it seems Jesus asks us what we want rather than answering us right away. We may ask for healing of our bodies but Jesus knows that if He heals us then we will not see our true need. We may think that we need mercy but we need more than God’s mercy we need God’s grace.

No comments: