Friday, May 3, 2013

Should I go?

I have never been to Israel and I do hope that some day I will be able to go.  Often I heard it said that walking where Jesus walked helps us to understand the New Testament better.  Though it may help to visualize the places that we read about in the New Testament it does not make it easier to understand.  That goes against Scripture itself.  Moses told the people that they didn't need to go anywhere to understand but they needed to obey.  If going to Israel made people a better preacher or teacher then it should be a requirement but that also would make it hard for people to have that important aspect of their education.  No, Moses makes it clear in Deuteronomy 30:13, 'Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” '  He then adds, "No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it."  Deuteronomy 30:14.  The key issue is never place but always obedience.  "For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws."  Deuteronomy 30:16

Someday I hope to travel to Israel and see the places where Jesus walked, talked and did miracles but until then I can still understand and obey.  Going to the place will be a great experience but our faith is based upon obedience and the Word of God.


No comments: