Thursday, November 8, 2012

Bucket List

Bucket list is a list of things you wish to do before you die.  It comes from the idea of "kick the bucket".  The sad thing is that many Christians fall into the trap of a bucket list.  They want to do things before they die so it becomes an obsession for them.  Lists like visiting every continent or eating at every McDonald's in the USA.  Whatever is on the bucket list becomes important.  Should Christians have a bucket list?  The problem I see with a bucket list is that it focuses on the big "I".  It is all about me and what I should do.  Is this the way a Christian should live?  Since when is going to every Caribbean country important?  Or fishing in the Yukon or skydiving or bungee jumping or whatever.  Some how we get things wrong.  Living our life is about what God wants us to do not about my fancies.  Yes, I may do many of these things but they are of little importance compared to what God wants from me.
I wonder if Daniel had a bucket list he would have had on his list to see lions up close or maybe Jonah wanted to go whale watching.  Peter maybe wanted to walk on water or John visit a Greek island.  You can be sure that these things were not on any list but they did them because they trusted their God.   

No comments: