Thursday, February 4, 2010

Elementary Teachings Part 2


The next two elementary teachings that the author mentions are baptisms (note that it is plural) and the laying on of hands. I think it would be safe to say that the emphasis here is a contrast between living truths and lifeless forms.
Baptism is important but we need to understand what it means. One pastor I heard said it was the initiation into the family. We are adopted into the family and now it is important that we testify to that fact. However, our testimony is about what God has done. He has adopted us into His family.
We can spend our time arguing about the forms of baptism and miss the point of baptism. Now don't misunderstand me, I believe the form is important and that is why I believe that we should be immersed and not just sprinkled. If we are baptised as a child then it means nothing to me but I can also be immersed and it may mean as little to me. Baptism is to show what God has done.

No comments: