Monday, March 17, 2008

Jars of Clay


We have now come to the last of the Ten Commandments. Just in case you could go down the list and check off the other nine saying I have never broken these commandments we come to the one that says, "Don't covet". Coveting is once again about trusting God. We like to think that we know better than God about what we need. However, Paul reminds us that true treasure is found in a jar of clay. To remind me of this I have a clay vase that sits on my dresser. Here are some of the things that are in that jar of clay. There is a watch that doesn't run any more but is engraved with the words, "Love Marjory 25 12 72" This is the first Christmas gift given to me by my wife after we were married. There are two nickels dated 1944 and 1951 that remind me of when I was born and when Marjory was born. There are five pennies date 1975, 1979, 1981, 1983 and 1986 which are the years when each of our children was born. I have a penny from 1967 which reminds me of the great country I live in. I have Sunday School pins from both the Penticostal church and the Christian and Missionary Alliance which reminds me of the great teaching I received as a child. I have a metal from the Mathematics Contest which reminds me of the years I spent teaching Mathematics. There are two swimming patches that I earned as an adult having never learned to swim as a child. There are three pins from Christian Service Brigade and Pioneet clubs because I worked with children in our church for many years. And finally there is a "Fish Pin" to remind me of my Saviour.
I know that there should be other treasures added like something from the Philippines for the year that we spent teaching at Faith Academy; some reminders of my four grandchildren which must be included in the real treasures of life; and maybe something from Bibles for Missions which has been my work in retirement.
However, I know that the real jar of clay is this body that seems to develop more lines and scars as it gets older but in this jar dwells the gift of eternal life and the very presence of God the Holy Spirit. How can we not trust God when we have true treasure in an old clay pot?

No comments: