Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I want to want what He wants

How many of us have started a Bible reading program determined to read the Bible through only to have found that we have failed again.  I have read the Bible through over sixty times but before I completed it once I had started many times only to fail.  Now I don't have any difficulty reading God's Word.  What changed?  Like many things that we want to do we have to keep at them until we more than want to want to do it, we want to do it.  At first I wanted to want to read the Bible through but now I want to so I do it. 
Part of the problem is that we try to do things in our own strength.  We try harder and fail more miserably.  We need to quit praying, "Lord help me" and start praying "Lord enable me."
In Deuteronomy 30:6 we read, "The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live."  Moses tells the people it is the Lord that puts it into our hearts to love Him and to do what He desires of us.

No comments: