Friday, September 7, 2012

It is not fair.

As a teacher and a parent I have heard that phrase thousands of times.  I also know that my children or the students I taught thought that it wasn't fair.  As their parent or their teacher I could see things from a different perspective and my concept of fairness and their concept of fairness may have been entirely different.
I have also heard the response that if life was fair then I would have been rich, handsome and successful.  However, that is a false view of fairness as well.  If life had been fair I probably would have been born to poor parents in a third world country.  I would not have had proper food or education and at my age today I probably would have been dead for a few years.  Is life fair?  Not from my perspective but what about from God's?
My concept of fairness was different from my students because I had a much larger perspective than they did.  God has an infinite greater perspective than we do so why cannot we trust His few of fairness rather than insist upon our own puny view?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it be "fair" to say then that when we want things our way it is sinful?

GDAC Bible Studies said...

If our way means that it is not God's way then the answer is definitely "yes". Even good things can be idols when they replace God.