Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Left and RIght


The Lord told Jonah that He had thousands of people in Nineveh who didn't know their left hand from their right. Now knowing left from right is important, especially in following directions. But what did the Lord mean when He said that they didn't know their left from their right?
Some think it may mean children but I don't think that fits the context of the book.
Others felt that it could mean uneducated but I don't think so.
I think it means that they were morally corrupt. My son told me that in Nepal the people were careful to keep their right and left hand separate. The left was used for cleaning themselves, especially after going to the bathroom, while the right was used for eating and greeting people. These people were so morally bankrupt that they had no concept of right or wrong, right or left.

No comments: