Monday, September 8, 2014

Sunflowers

I love a field of sunflowers.  I find it amazing to see all the heads facing the same way.  One of the joys of living where I do is all the different crops that are grown and every year someone grows sunflowers.
We live in an age where we have lost the sense of amazement.  There is a super moon or a meteor shower or a double rainbow and we don't bother taking the time to go outside and look for ourselves.  After all someone somewhere will post it on the internet and it will be better than what we can see from our backyard.
I am afraid that is how we sometimes read the Gospels.  We have become so accustomed to what we have heard that we no longer come to the Gospels with a sense of anticipation.  I can imagine that the first readers were amazed at Jesus.  The teaching, the answers to questions, the miracles, the parables all would have been something very, very new to the original readers.
And what about the people who Luke writes about?  Mary and Zacharias.  The disciples and the Pharisees.  These people were amazed.
As we study Luke's Gospel account together I want to be amazed again.  I want to see it through the eyes of the original readers.

No comments: