Sunday, December 29, 2013

Reading 2013

This past year I have read over 80 books.  The fact that ebooks and audio books are so available increased the number of books that I read this past year.  29 of the books were ebooks and 3 where audio books.  Apart from the Scripture, which I read through three times, here is my top five  books of the year.

5.  Flatland by Edwin Abbott.  This little mathematical novel is over 100 years old and though I have known about it for years I finally got around to reading it.  It is a delightful story about someone who lives in two dimensions and believes that that is all there is.  When he is introduced to the third dimension by a visitor from the third dimension he challenges his guest to think about a fourth dimension.  Like everyone in his two dimensional world the visitor will not believe that there is another dimension.  I think there is a lesson here for us who think we have everything figured out.

4.  Glorious Ruin by Tullian Tchividjian.  This was a delightful find as it showed up as a free ebook.  It is subtitled How Suffering sets you Free.  This book by the grandson of Billy Graham is worth the read and he shows you that suffering is part of being a follower of Jesus Christ, part of our path to freedom, part of the Gospel.

3.  The Covenant by James Michener.  This massive novel about the Boers of South Africa really opened my eyes to the roots of apartheid.  The Boers were convinced that they were the chosen people living in the promised land.

2.  The Meaning of Marriage by Tim and Kathy Keller.  This book which looks at marriage through the eyes of Scripture should be a must read for everyone getting married.

1.  The number one book on my list is a surprise.  It is an Old Testament commentary.  Deuteronomy, Loving Obedience to a Loving God by Ajith Fernando.  Though I have always loved the Old Testament and in particular I love the book of Deuteronomy this book brought Moses' words alive.  What a great commentary and I would recommend it to any one who wants to preach or teach the whole counsel of God.

I have a few honourable mentions but I may mention them another time.  I am looking forward to the surprises that God has for me in 2014.

No comments: