Sunday, September 15, 2013

What is Sin?

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of the Gospel when we say “that is the way God made me and He will not send me to hell.” That is wrong. This statement says that you will only go to hell if you do things that God will punish. We are born in sin. We are sinning against God everyday of our lives. We begin with a position of rebellion against the Creator. Also what is being said is that God must accept me on my own terms. When we define ourselves we must be careful. We cannot define ourselves in terms of a certain sin and say that is the way that God made me so He better deal with it. We cannot say God made me this way and He won’t send me to hell because of it. We cannot define ourselves in the way that makes sense to ourselves. We need to understand how God defines us in Scripture and then work backward from there. We come to God and say “that is the way I am deal with it” that is the very root of sin itself. So often people who are caught in the trap of sin hate themselves but the Gospel is not about hating ourselves but hating sin. Repentance is not about hating ourselves but hating sin.

No comments: