Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Electronic Giving

At our church AGM the subject of electronic giving was brought raised by the treasurer. He said that the office was going to print cards for the people to put into the offering plate if they gave electronically. One person thought that was a waste of money while another suggested that if everyone had church envelopes then they should just indicate on the envelope that they were giving electronically. There are advantages to giving electronically and almost all of them are convenience. It is more convenient for the giver, for the teller, for the treasurer. However, I see one big disadvantage. It detaches giving from worship. As we bring our offerings week by week we are coming to worship bringing a gift. I think that it is important that we make people aware of the fact that giving is an act of worship. I see the placing of an offering envelope which has been marked as electronic giving is a good compromise. People are still aware that their giving is an act of worship. I give to missionaries electronically. I know that as my gift is given I haven't taken time to pray for the receiver as I would if I was to write a cheque. Is this a compromise? Yes it is. However, I can still make it a matter of prayer to pray for those missionaries daily and not just when I send a cheque. I want to state my one concern again. We should never detach our giving from our worship.

No comments: