Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mathematics

I studied mathematics in university and then I taught mathematics for 35 years.  The one thing I realized as I learned more and more mathematics is that there is more and more mathematics to learn. 
Suppose my seven year old grandson came to me and told me that he knew how to add, subtract, multiply and divide so he knew everything about mathematics.  Certainly I would not want to hurt his feelings but I also would want to show him that there is much more mathematics to learn.  He would not understand if I told him that he didn't know Calculus.
Sometimes as Christians we think of God the way that a seven year old thinks of mathematics.  They know the basics so they think that is enough.  Their knowledge of God may be that God is love but though that is true they are missing so much of the theology of God.  God is love is not just a definition of God or a description of His character but it is the basis of the justice, wrath, and so much more.
May we learn this:  The more I learn about God the more I learn that there is so much more.  Unlike mathematics which is finite, God is infinite so we can never understand with our finite minds everything about God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew 18:3

GDAC Bible Studies said...

1 Corinthians 14:20

Anonymous said...

1 Corinthians 16:13 and we'll call it a draw :)