Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Watch what you say.

The Bible has a great deal to say about our words, how we should talk.  Our words can build up or tear down.  Our words can build bridges or fences.  Jesus, Paul, James and others remind us that our words are not just words.  I was thinking about that as I have listened to Christians talk.  Here are a few words or expressions that the use without thinking about the implications of those words.
"Oh my God" or OMG is used over and over again as an expression without thinking that God is a holy and awesome God and we are called to stand in awe of Him not to use His name lightly.
Damn.  I have heard Christians use this without realizing that it is not our right to damn anyone.  We are called to witness to the truth yet I have heard Christians damn others, damn things, damn events as if they were God Himself.
Hell.  If we truly understood hell we would be careful how we used that word.  A christian should never tell another to "go to hell" but they should never use the word "hell" lightly either.  It is a real and terrible place that we should desire that everyone should avoid.
There are other words, some are vulgar words, some are just careless words.  "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 3:6
Christians, watch what you say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that way when I hear Christians say "Oh my gosh" as well, as if it's okay to say that and it means something different?

GDAC Bible Studies said...

I had a friend say to me once that "heck is where people go who don't believe in gosh."