Thursday, November 10, 2011

Smörgåsbord

I don't know about you but when I go to a buffet (or a smorgasbord as my Swedish friends call it) I do a lot of picking and choosing. I take a lot of one thing (too much I may add) because I like it and not much (probably nothing) of something I don't like.
People often treat the attributes of God that way. They like His goodness, mercy, grace and love so they overload on those but we will pass on the judgment, wrath, etc. The problem is that God is not part goodness, love, mercy, wrath, etc. You cannot say this much is love and this much is justice. God is all love, all mercy, all grace, all judgment, all wrath, all at the same time. That is what it means to be infinite. So to say that I like a loving God but not a judgmental God is to divide God up so that the God we want is not the God of the Bible.

No comments: