Friday, November 4, 2011

I think I may be one of those

What comes to your mind when someone says the word “fundamentalist”, especially someone in the media?

Do you think of a right wing bigot who is against change, democracy and pluralism? Do you think of someone who bombs abortion clinics, marches against homosexuality and votes for the most politically right winged candidate in the running? According to the press the religious right, or fundamentalism, is intolerant of women, immigrants, the poor, minorities, homosexuals, non-Christians and anyone else who doesn’t fit in – all in the name of Jesus.

If this is what is meant by a fundamentalist then we do not want to be associated with them. Over the past years Christians who at one time were known as fundamentalists now want to be called evangelicals instead.

But let me make a confession. I am a fundamentalist. Now before you begin to think that I am gone too far to the right let me remind you that I have never been involved in a protest against homosexuality or abortion clinics though I believe that they are wrong and we should pray against these forces of darkness. I am not a member of a right wing political party. According to the press I have right wing views regarding homosexuality and abortion. However, some may think that I am left wing when it comes to other issues, especially those who are most vulnerable in our society such as the poor and the immigrants.

If being a fundamentalist is a crime then I am guilty as charged. I stand for the truth of God’s word and its application to life today. Yes I believe that there is only one way to heaven and that is through Jesus Christ but I also stand for religious freedom and people do have the right to choose but we must make sure that we give them the choice.

What does it mean then to be a fundamentalist? I believe that there are at least five major areas of belief that makes me a fundamentalist.

The scripture says, “Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and you shall find rest for your souls.” Jeremiah 6:16

1. I believe in the infallibility of Scripture.

2. I believe in the deity of Christ.

3. I believe in the Virgin Birth and the miracles of Christ.

4. I believe in Christ’s substitutionary death.

5. I believe in Christ’s physical resurrection and eventual return.

If believing in those tenants makes me a fundamentalist then as I said before, I am guilty as charged.

1 comment:

Jim Austin said...

I stand with you, Joe. You are not a lone fundamentalist.