Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Unsung Heroes of the Faith

Ecuador day 1

The unsung heroes of the faith.

Let me introduce you to the couple who are in the picture with me. I would like to tell you their names but it probably is fitting that I don't know them as they are the true unsung heroes of the faith.

This couple is from Chile who came to Quito to study at the seminary so that they could be church planters. They were new in the program when they asked why everyone turned right when they left the seminary and no one went to the left. The road to the right led back to the city but no one seemed to know what was down the road to the left. This couple jumped on a bus and after traveling for awhile they found themselves in a community that had never heard the gospel. They started working with children and soon they were ministering to the parents. They then went further down the road and repeated the same scenario. In less than a year they had planted two churches. Planting a church involves more than getting a few conversions but it also involves discipleship and putting a structure together. This couple did that with very little training and no money.


They couldn't speak any English and I couldn't speak Espanyol but he gave me the biggest hug of all. The people of Ecuador will give plenty of hugs but nothing like this man. I thought about how much I could learn from these people but they seem so grateful that we had come to see what they were doing. They asked for nothing from us except our prayers and that we would remember them when we went home. How can I ever forget?


Now these are not only heroes. All church planters are heroes of the faith. We will meet more over the next few days.

No comments: