Monday, October 11, 2010

I Cannot

An unknown author wrote the following:

I cannot say "our" if I live only for myself.
I cannot say "Father" if I do not endeavor each day to act like His child.
I cannot say "Who art in heaven" if I lay up no treasure there.
I cannot say "hallowed be Thy name" if I am not striving for holiness.
I cannot say "Thy kingdom come" if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that wonderful event.
I cannot say "Thy will be done" if I am disobedient to His Word.
I cannot say "in earth as it is in heaven" if I'll not serve Him here and now.
I cannot say "give us this day our daily bread" if I am dishonest or seeking things by subterfuge.
I cannot say "forgive us our debts" if I harbor a grudge against anyone.
I cannot say "lead us not into temptation" if I deliberately place myself in its path.
I cannot say "deliver us from evil" if I do not but on the whole armour of God.
I cannot say "Thine is the kingdom" if I do not give the King the loyalty due Him from a faithful subject.
I cannot attribute to Him the power if I fear what men may do.
I cannot ascribe to Him the glory if I'm seeking honor only for myself, and I cannot say ""forever" if the horizon of my life is bounded completely by time.

No comments: