Sunday, October 17, 2010

Helen

On March 21, 2010 the blog entry was called Helen's prayer. Helen passed away last night. We took time to pray her prayer in class this morning. I will copy and past this prayer at the end of the article.

Let me explain how it came that Helen wrote this prayer. I was putting together a study booklet on Hebrews and I had asked a number of people to write prayers for the lessons. The person I asked to write the prayer for Hebrews 11 decided that he couldn't do it. I had a number of people in mind who I intended to ask but before I could ask them I saw Helen come into church. I knew I should ask her so I did. Her prayer was part of her anchor during this time. Here is her prayer.

A Prayer of Faith.

O God !
Have mercy, I pray !
Deliver me from the onslaught of these fears -
These dark imaginings,
These dreadful possibilities that are only that -
Possibilities - NOT facts.
They roll over me like the waves of the sea,
And fill me with despair.
Help me to realize that the voice that whispers them in my
mind
Is neither mine - nor yours.
Help me instead to turn my thoughts to You -
To remember Your precious promises
Given so often and so clearly in Your Word -
To comfort and sustain,
To defend and protect,
To fight for those who put their trust in You.
Help me to go over them, Lord,
The ones You have given me,
Word by word,
Promise by promise,
Step by faltering step,
Until I reach Your peace -
Until I am enfolded by the Comforter -
Until I am safe in the light of Your love -
And I can truly speak the prayer
That never fails –
"Thy will be done."
Thank you, O Lord, my God,
For Your sustaining love and grace.
Amen.

by Helen G.

No comments: