Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How not to Pray. Conclusion

3. What about my needs?

Is there a place for selfish prayers? I have heard of people driving around a parking lot looking and praying for a parking place near to the door of the mall. How is such a prayer God honouring? God may want us to leave that place for someone needier than ourselves. There are those that say we should “name it and claim it” or we should visualize the answer to our prayer. We need to learn that it is not about us but it is about the glory of God.

Hannah’s prayer was a selfish prayer but God honoured that prayer. Even though she could not see beyond her hurt and pain God did and the answer to her prayer not only brought healing to Hannah but it was a turning point for Israel. Even though her prayer seemed to have selfish motives it was about the glory of God.

Samson prayed a selfish prayer when he was brought before the Philistines and even though God honoured that prayer the answer was more about the glory and righteousness of God than about revenge for Samson’s eyes.

There has been much written in the past few years about the prayer of Jabez. Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request. 1 Chronicles 4:9 – 10. Should we pray prayers like that? I do believe that there are times when such prayers are honoured but too often we become self centered in our prayers rather than God centered.

No comments: