Sunday, July 5, 2009

DIY Religion

This morning Pastor Gord preached on Judges 17 and 18. At the end of his sermon he showed a clip from Paris Reidhead's sermon called Ten Shekels and a Shirt. It is a great sermon but it is extremely convicting. Why do we serve God? Is it for something that we would get out of it or is it for the glory of God?
When we pray for people, whether for healing, family situations, safety, financial, or whatever are we concerned with man's (or woman's) happiness or with God's glory? I think too often our prayers are much like serving God for ten shekels and a shirt.
One weakness of our worship this morning was the singing of the song Above All. I love most of the song but it falls apart in the chorus. I am sure He didn't think of me above all when He was on the cross. I know that there are some churches that will not use th at song because of the chorus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point Joe, regarding the song ... I've never looked at the lyrics in the chorus this way before, but I completely agree and understand that that Jesus died - not for my happiness - but to bring glory to the Father (God). I've always viewed that lyric ..."and thought of me, above all" to be more the use of 'poetic licence' than a literal theological truth! (Pastor Gord)

GDAC Bible Studies said...

Bob Kauflin talks about this song in his book Worship Matters. Bob is a friend of Paul Balouche who wrote Above All. He has talked about the song with him and he understands what Paul meant by it. Like you said Pastor it may just be poetic licence after all Paul wanted to exalt Christ above all. The one problem with poetic licence is that not all congregants understand that and songs are often take home theology. Some songs however beautiful are better not sung as a congregation.