Monday, December 1, 2008

1837

I had a friend who did a workshop for the Mathematics Teachers over ten years ago. I invited him to stay over instead of flying back home that night but he told me that he wanted to get home as he and his wife had a new baby. When I asked him how many children he had he told me that this was their first. He was about 41 at the time. I remarked that he was a late bloomer and he told me that he came from a family of late bloomers. He then told me that his grandfather was born in 1837. He said that when his grandfather was 58 years old, in 1895, he had a son which was his father and when his father was 59 years old, in 1954, he had a son which was him. Imagine how different his grandfather's world in 1837 was to what his world in 1954.
This coming Sunday at our Sundays at Six we will be looking at the 400 silent years, the time between Malachi and Matthew. 400 years is a long time even in the ancient world. The difference between the world at the close of the Old Testament and the beginning of the New Testament is enormous.

No comments: